Decorating Your Sunroom or Patio: There’s an App for That
When your sunroom or patio starts to resemble something out of an antique catalog instead of the hot-spot hangout it actually is, it’s time for a makeover. Instead of simply applying a new coat of paint or hanging new curtains, it’s time to roll up those sleeves and get ready for the long haul. Don’t complain just yet—while staring at paint swatches and asking your friends whether coral and teal match (they do) hardly seems like the best way to spend your Saturday, we’re here to help.
Coincidentally, So Is the Internet
Technology is both a burden and a blessing. For adding a little life back into your investment, you can certainly use technology’s powers for good. We’ve compiled a list of decorating-friendly apps as well as some of the most popular trends for 2013 to get your creative mind flowing.
There’s an App for That
- ColorSchemer: Made for Apple devices, this app is a nice change from staring at color swatches. If you suddenly feel inspired by a photograph or sunset, ColorSchemer allows you to play around with colors and make your own color palettes. It even has a section to browse around for popular palettes among other users!
- Photo Measure Lite: Also for Apple devices, this app was designed for renovations in mind. Simply snap a picture of the space you’re working on, and use the built-in tools to record measurements and dimensions. It even allows you to organize your pictures by room.
- SnapShop: Apple really is trying to win you over: this app allows you to drag and drop furniture anywhere on the screen to help you visualize what furniture would look like in your empty room. It can also help you when pairing patterned furniture with your wall colors, as well as save the photo for future reference.
- RedLaser: For Apple, Android, and Windows, this app makes shopping for home décor a breeze. Simply scan the barcode of the item you’re considering, and the app does all the work of price-checking for you. In addition to finding the lowest price, it allows you to purchase the item from your phone so it’s ready for pick-up.
Occasionally, the AppStore can also help you in ways you never would have imagined. Although we don’t recommend it, you can also download the Sunroom Designer app for about $400. That’s right–there’s an expensive app for that.
Great Minds Think Alike
While you probably have an idea of what was popular in times past thanks to your newsfeed and Pinterest habit, it’s hard to know what’s going to look good in the future. Especially for patios and sunrooms, it’s important to ensure your design lives up to heavy traffic and is still easily decorated for your killer-themed parties. Here are a few of our favorite tips:
- Like fashion, it’s best to stick to the basics. This doesn’t mean you have to skip out on patterns or crazy colors: simply pair them with neutrals to anchor the design. Never underestimate the power of your blacks, whites, and browns!
- Invest in great curtains. These areas of your home not only see heavy traffic, they see a lot of outdoor elements. Curtains are just one soldier in your décor army that can help protect against sun damage and all of the nasty things that can come with it.
- Green power! Since these areas of your home are all about bringing the outside in, feel free to liven up the space with potted plants or flowers. It’s amazing what a few green leaves can do to a space. If you’re not especially green-thumbed, feel free to use fake flowers—we won’t tell!
Your house is your home, and one of the biggest investments you’ll make. When a room gets too drab to be in, you don’t need to drop a lot of money to make it enjoyable again: by using our tips and finding apps that really work for you, renovating and redecorating can be a breeze. Feel free to contact us for more information on your sunrooms and patios, and how to help protect them against the Oklahoma sun!